1) Take a few minutes to reflect on the feedback you received during our critique and say something about how you will use this feedback to makes changes or adjustments to the work you have done so far in the course.
2) Reflect on the experience of creating a collage as a form of drawing. How do these activities relate to one another and how do they differ? How did the collage offer you unique ways to formulate and express your ideas? (if you already responded to this prompt in your drawing pad, please type up your response here as well- thanks!)
Due Saturday, Feb. 18th @ 9 am.
2) Reflect on the experience of creating a collage as a form of drawing. How do these activities relate to one another and how do they differ? How did the collage offer you unique ways to formulate and express your ideas? (if you already responded to this prompt in your drawing pad, please type up your response here as well- thanks!)
Due Saturday, Feb. 18th @ 9 am.
1) Just a few words on the critique. I think it is a great creative process for us students to experience and build confidence by way of sharing our imaginations. I like the feedback I received, and will continue to work on perspective and using charcoal to add more dimension to my sketches... thanks for the comments!
ReplyDelete2)Last weeks class, creating the urban landscape and working with collage was a lot of fun! So is drawing, but the two processes are very different in technique and creation.
I found collage to be a way to express and explore narratives more spontaneously. An assemblage of different images, materials and text pieced together creates and connects ideas and concepts more imaginatively.
Drawing is a lot slower for me right now. It's more introspective, intense and difficult to do. It takes more practice and technique in order to convey my message clearly. I feel with time drawings offer more specificity, detail and intention to concepts.
1)I thought that the critique was a positive experience and I enjoyed having the opportunity. I learned a lot by seeing the different styles and methods applied by others. I feel that I can use the feedback provided to correct the linear perspective on certain parts of my sketches such as with buildings. I also feel that I now have other ideas on how to enhance the texture or value in certain areas of my sketches with vegetation.
ReplyDelete2)I felt that the collage was a way to be creative in a less structured way. There was really the opportunity to create anything that portrayed some sort of landscape, which might be driven by a particular thought at the time of creating the collage, so the possibilities are endless. The collage is related to drawing in that both can portray a landscape or an idea. They are different in that a collage can be a more colorful and animated, possibly less direct, way of showing a landscape. The collage offers a unique way to express ideas with pictures using different colors and shapes as well as utilizing different techniques that can be applied to the paper to create a composition.
1. I enjoyed the critique class last week, as I received some great constructive criticism and was able to view the techniques and styles utilized by my fellow classmates. In my drawings, I need to further differentiate the brightness of textures of different surfaces, for example, making bushes and shadows darker in the foreground of my drawings. I can also play more with light and shadow, something I still find difficult to do. As I practice more, hopefully some of the elements I find hard to accomplish now will become easier as I progress. In addition, I learned a great deal from viewing the use of atmospheric perspective in other people’s drawings and will be able to apply some of their techniques to my own work in my own style. It was also enlightening to view the various textures my classmates used for different types of vegetation, from palm fronds to tree bark. I will be able to take all of this new information and apply it to my 3 drawings I did around Rollins with charcoal especially and my future projects I do in the class.
ReplyDelete2. Collage and drawing are similar in that they are both art forms that can be utilized to express different cityscapes or landscapes. With both methods, an artist can evoke certain emotional tones in their art and can express their views of the surrounding environment. Collage and drawing are different, however. With drawing, an artist starts completely from scratch and develops his or her own figures using different media, such as pencil, paint, or charcoal. With collage, the artist creatively takes different already-made pictures and materials and combines them within a work of art. Collage is a simpler and quicker form of art compared to drawing, in my opinion.
The collage project was very fun. I found it to be a more relaxed type of art compared to drawing, possibly because I have no formal training in drawing or painting. It was a fun way to express my ideas, because I could spontaneously bring totally different types of landscapes together in one work. Picture placement, gluing type, and cutting style were the ways that I could express different moods in my collage. I felt less restricted with the collage, as opposed to the typical drawings that I do in the class. The collage was a nice change of pace, especially after digesting all of the information from the critique session.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delete1) I found the critique extremely helpful; not principally because of the comments on my work but rather through the work of others. The struggles we face, previously believed to be individually contained, are shared among many members of the class. For example, Megan and Alex with trying to let go of their attention to painstaking details with charcoal helped me avoid going down that path and see spatial and value relationships on a larger scale
ReplyDeleteI also saw how, like the textbook elaborates on, your work looks completely different hung up at the front of the room. The size of the room and lightness of line diminishes whatever thoughts you had of your drawing. This taught me to look at my work from various angles throughout the process. I found myself reflecting upon the critique while doing several of my drawings this week.
2) I was honestly a bit frustrated by the collage. I tend to try to put too much meaning behind symbolic expressions like this that I end up getting lost myself and not remembering the original meaning. However, it was a fun mind exercise to think about how I would juxtapose city and slum, suburb and the power needed to provide it. Artistically, my representation could have been stronger and I could have utilized more devices like interesting adhesives and gloss. I would like to try this again with a bigger range of photography, including something like pop culture magazines… could be interesting to contrast, say, a makeup ad with the landscape of where the material for the makeup was harvested.
1. The critique was helpful in two, different, lights. One, I was given great feedback that was both assuring and constructive. My spacial perspective, scale, and value need work, all of which I am working to enhance in my pieces with the guidance the critique has given me. Two, the critique of others' pieces gave me perspective on my own pieces and techniques. For example, Michael's use of charcoal is much more gestured and light-handed than my own. I would like to try using that style in my work.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I really enjoyed the critique. I was initially terrified to put up my work and have it "judged", but I am looking forward to the next critique and more feedback
2. I LOVE to collage and try to do it often. I am usually influenced by the images that I find in magazines and decide on the theme/message of the collage from there. However, with this collage, since the images were of urban/rural landscapes it felt more restricted. Interestingly, the extended time (2hrs) also made the experience a little frustrating since I had so much time to decide on which images to choose and where to place them in a way that might have more meaning. I was satisfied with the end result, though I think it strays from the traditional roles of an urban planner and delves more into environmental concerns of "progress" and "economic development".
1. Last week's in-class critique helped me understand the role of value in the creation of a balanced composition. The positive reinforce of my own style by peers, along with pointers in developing value and detail in the appropriate areas of my composition will help me develop and refine my drawing skills. Now I will apply more detail and value to objects in the foreground of my landscape drawings and properly fade other objects into the horizon. to create depth and distance. I plan on applying these changes to our past projects, where applicable. Also, as others commented, I found that the critique fostered camaraderie and allowed us to compare and comment on each others compositions
ReplyDelete2. The collage project in last week's class was my first attempt at creating art directly from preexisting images. I found the process of altering and arranging an assortment of images to create my own composition fun and challenging. In creating drawings, unlike collages, artists fully rely on their natural and practiced hand skills to create raw compositions utilizing simplistic media. Collages, on the other hand, require foresight and organization to arrange altered media into a work of art. I also feel like the drawings we created stay within the comfort of defined three dimensional space while our collages explored undefined multidimensional perspectives. Both of these activities require a preconceived idea or image to create a desired composition. While I enjoyed making a collage, I did not find the process of making a collage as satisfying as drawing because I felt constrained in creating art through preexisting images rather than creating my own composition from scratch.
1) I don’t recall many specific criticisms but remember feeling encouraged by the support and positive feedback. Some pointed out that my perspective was “off” in the sense that it was overextended and too sharp. The drawing therefore appeared exaggerated. One criticism was that my use of texture was too sparing and did not properly define shape and depth. Feeling that these are acquired abilities through practice, I look forward to resolving these issues.
ReplyDelete2) I enjoyed finding textures and images that become tools to express artistic relationships. This method differs from drawing that in collage a beginning structure is offered through the media and further stimulates my imagination.
Feedback from the critique on proportion, scale and scaled texture has helped me fix my drawings and work on my new drawing. Proportion of perspective was the hardest project that myself and it seems of many others have worked on. The general knowledge that everyone is struggling with perspective makes me feel better. Beyond that, the comments I received gave me specific changes to start with in my drawing like “can you walk through this hall” (measuring) and “lower the vanishing point.” Scale changing in perspective takes lots of practice and looking at others drawings and finding where they are successful in expressing this was very useful. I learned from the critique more about back, middle and foreground and different way to express them. The main way that many people had great examples of was by using scaled texture. I now know from the critique that I spend lots of time on the background at the beginning of my drawing which should have less detail and then by the time I get to foreground I am tired and less detail which is contrary to scaled texture. This is something I have to consciously remind myself at the beginning of a drawing.
ReplyDeleteCreating a collage helped me concentrate on scale of the objects, relationship of the texture and line in each of the cut outs, the way that the eye moves through the collage to tell the story which is all apart of drawing. The collage made me feel freer to express a main idea with less concern over the details of drawing that I have created. This was also a constraint since I was forced to alter my original idea since there was no cutouts that completed the original thought of the piece and filled the composition in a striking way.
1. The in-class critique helped me understand that sometimes it's worth starting a drawing over. More than anything the critique helped me step back from my project and evaluate throught the eyes of others. Additionally, I got ideas from other drawings about how to overcome some of the things I'm not so good at, including patience and a looser drawing style.
ReplyDelete2. I enjoyed the collage more than I thought I would. I thought it was very meditative to sit there and search through different pictures. It was fun trying to take the original story these pictures came from and giving them a new context or history to make them fit into my collage. It was also very education experimenting with new media, including gesso and string.
1. The in class critique allowed me to see my efforts through other people's eyes. Although by nature critques are judgemental, somehow this session did not feel this way. It seemed like most of the class geniunely wanted to help each other become better at their craft. I enjoyed thinking about the techniques of others and was impressed by the talents and efforts that others put into their work.
ReplyDelete2. The collage was exceedly fun. While I enjoy drawing, it is great to go outside that medium and delve in to somthing that is far less precise and requires a creativity that is unlike that of looking at a specific object and drawing what you see. In this collage exercise we had to create a landscape completely from our minds and not our eyes.